From Aspiration to Reality
Since purchasing our 17-acre property and house in January 2015, we have been busy making improvements to create a monastery from what was originally a single-family home. We’re off to a good start . . . and we’re also learning how much more work lies ahead! It is exciting to be making our vision real: to create a forest monastery where women live together and train as bhikkhunis in the Theravada tradition.
What We’ve Accomplished So Far
Through the generosity (and hard work!) of many, we’ve already completed various improvements to our 30-year-old house.
- Created meditation room that is soundproofed from the noisy kitchen
- Replaced window with new backdoor providing much easier access to house & bathroom for guests
- Set up two outbuildings (1 trailer & 1 yurt) for nuns’ meditation & seclusion
- Set up one additional trailer as accommodation for male & transgender guests
- Remodeled our office from dark & dingy to light-filled & inviting
- Provided AC in our guest dorm and upgraded heating/cooling in meditation room & office
- Repaired & improved drainage systems around the house